Baton Rouge Motorcycle Accidents: What You Need to Know
Many Baton Rouge locals believe that the city is among the worst for motorcycle accidents. However, being well informed about a typical car accident doesn’t mean you are well informed about accidents involving motorcycles. For motorcyclists and the surrounding drivers, a motorcycle accident lawyer from Williamson Fontenot Campbell & Whittington (WFCW) is here with some important laws to be aware of in Baton Rouge.
According to Louisiana law, you must have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver’s license in order to legally drive a motorcycle. This ensures you can control your bike and know crash avoidance skills. You also must have your bike inspected once or twice a year. During this inspection, breaks, mechanisms, and other parts of the bike are checked for adequate performance. While on the road, there are several laws in place to help keep everyone safe. Here are a few that motorcyclists must follow at all times. These may help you prevent a motorcycle accident and needing a lawyer in Baton Rouge.
- All cyclists must wear a helmet specifically intended for motorcyclists at all times. The helmet must feature lining, padding, a chin strap, and a visor. This is according to Louisiana Revised Statutes 32:190.
- Similarly, the same statute details mandatory eye protection that meets performance specifications set by the commissioner. This could be safety goggles, safety glasses, or a face shield. But if you intend to drive at night, they cannot be tinted.
- At all times, both hands must be on the handlebars.
- Only two motorcycles can drive side by side at a time.
- It is illegal in Louisiana for motorcycles to drive on the lines separating traffic. It can be incredibly dangerous for both the cyclist and the surrounding cars.
- Some motorcycle sources argue that your protective gear, like a proper motorcycle jacket, is one of the most important parts of motorcycle safety. Since riders are exposed to their environment, these heavy-duty jackets and pants help protect you during a crash. These jackets are sometimes designed with built-in armor around the joints and feature bright colors for drivers to notice on the road.
For Drivers Around Motorcycles:
While you can’t control if a motorcyclist drives safely from within your own car, you can certainly drive mindfully around them. Here are a few tips to help keep motorcyclists safe on the roads from the experts at WFCW.
- Be mindful and give cyclists their space on the road. You don’t want to follow too closely or get closer than the length of two cars. This way you have time to brake if their bike has missing or difficult to notice brake lights.
- Drive sober to keep reaction times fast and have unimpaired judgment.
- Check your blind spots—especially if you are changing lanes.
Stay Safe With These Tips From a Baton Rouge Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
According to the United States Department of Transportation, motorcyclists continue to be overrepresented in fatal car accidents. In 2020 alone, over 5,500 motorcyclists were victims of fatal car accidents. Compared to passenger vehicle occupants, motorcyclists were 28 times more likely to die in a motorcycle crash, and four times more likely to be injured. Regardless if you are a motorcyclist or the surrounding driver, we must all be conscious and informed to keep our community as safe as possible.
Unfortunately, even the safest drivers are not safe from being involved in a car accident. If you were injured in a Baton Rouge motorcycle accident, WFCW is ready to put our experience with motorcycle accident cases to good use. Because of the complex and sometimes tricky situations surrounding motorcycle accidents, you need an experienced legal team to look out for you. Contact WFCW to be your Baton Rouge motorcycle accident lawyer.
Are You in Need of a Baton Rouge Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
If you have been involved in a Baton Rouge motorcycle accident and are looking for a lawyer, WFCW is experienced and ready to help you get what you deserve. Laws regarding motorcycle accidents can be tricky to manage without the right team protecting you. If you think you would benefit from our legal help, please schedule a free consultation meeting, and we can decide your best strategy. Please call us at 225-383-4010 or send us a message online. You deserve to have a team that will fight for you.